JamesIZMs

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Shortcuts

Nelson Lee

Got a call this morning... from one of my best and one of my first friends ever, Nelson Lee Roberson who I've known since kindergarten.


"Bo!" ... (short for Jimbo) ... "What up shawty?? .. man I'm gonna be up that way around the 4th. Make sure u got the trees and the women ready for me!" ...

I love my niggas... The convo got me to thinking about some of our funnier times growing up... one of my favorites is when we were on our way SOMEWHERE... not sure where, not important... all i remember is asking him why the hell we were going this way and him saying...


"Oh... this a shortcut.... but the other way quicker"
(straight face)

I start my infamous chuckle that grows into a hearty all out laugh. The look on his face when he said it... so serious, so intent. Shortcut, but the other way quicker - haaaaaaaaa.

I continue to iron my clothes as other parts of growing up run threw my mind... about my life, my situation, and how the hell i wound up where I am today... I start thinking about all the "shortcuts" i took that seemed like good ideas at the time... U know... ignoring a traffic ticket... dodging a bill collector... cheating on a test... tellin her whatever she wanted to hear... ... half assing just to get something or someone off my case. So as I stand there deep in thought... it finally hits me like the wind around a chicago corner in mid march... This mf was droppin knowledge....

Shortcuts but the other way quicker... damn who knew?!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home